Sunday, November 3, 2013

Time for another update….


 I thought I'd start out with a few pictures of Whit.  I love to see the smile on her face.  I know she is having fun and she is where she belongs.  
** I have worked on uploaded more pictures for the past 3-4 days but for whatever reason I have not been able to upload get the pictures attached.  :(   I will be sure to get all of the pictures uploaded to FB and I will try to give the description she provided as well.  



Tis the Season   -   July 14th 2013   (we got a lot of emails from her) 
We're having a big old rain storm right now! I thought I would send
you a pic of what I look like before I came inside the Cafe` to email
you :)
I love me some thunder and lightening! Although I haven't seen the
lightening yet...but the thunder here is crazy loud!


     ------  picture of whit in the rain  -------- 

The Temple was sooo good! As always. I love having the chance to sleep over at the Temple! We had President interviews last week. Because people TAKE FOREVER, I only had about 5 minutes with him. Good thing I didn't have much to say. This may shock ya'll, but I've become more of a listener now-a-days. It's weird. I never thought that'd happen.

After the temple we went to taco bell...I was in heaven. I love when I get to go to American places...even though it's not quite the same, it's close enough.

We have 4 progressing investigators. Remember the story about the lady and her daughter coming to church (well her whole family came, but we usually just teach the mother and daughter). So this week, since we've taught her all the lessons, we decided to have a "gospel discussion" just kind of ask her questions and see where the conversation goes. But of course we had a lesson plan too! but I just wanted the mom to feel comfortable to talk to us, and not be afraid to say her feelings. So I shared Mosiah 18:9-11 with them. Because I came across it last week during study, and I felt prompted to share it with them. So to start our discussion I told them a few desires of my heart, and then in turn asked them if they would share a few with me.
I told them one of my desires was to be like Our Savior Jesus Christ. That's why I decided to serve a mission, and that's why I am here in Korea, is to help people follow him. I told them that I wanted to be with my family forever. And because I love people so much, I want to help them be happy.
So the mother says, (in broken English) "Do you love us?" And the sincerity and curiosity in her eyes melted my heart. Before I said anything, I thought: how do you not know that already? And I paused for just a moment, and my eyes filled with tears, and I said, YES, I DO! And I opened up my arms and I looked at the 10 year old little girl, and I said, this much!! (with my arms stretched out). and she smiled. And I looked at the mother and I just smiled. The lesson was good, and she said that she'll be baptized, but she didn't want to commit to a date. She needs time. And she promised to come to church this upcoming week!

After the lesson, my thoughts kept going to my first thought, "how do you not know that already?"

I thought of all the times we've met. The things I say to her. The hugs I've given her. Just everything...how could she still wonder if I loved her?

I want to compare this to Heavenly Father and his children. I believe each of us, all too often forget, the love He has for us. I can't count the prayers I've muttered, as I felt alone, wondering if God loved me. I'm sure all of you can say it's happened to you before too. I wonder if, when we pray, God thinks, 'how do you not know that already?' Of course he loves us! We can look at our life, and count all our many blessings. See that he has blessed with a family. He has blessed us with Goodly parents who love the Lord (1 Nephi). We know that he loves us, but sometimes we forget. Or maybe sometimes, we just need to hear the words, 'I love you'.

I know that God loves ALL his children. I know that none of us are forgotten. I know that Heavenly Father wants to help us, and will do so, as we ask in faith.

I'm grateful for this knowledge, and testimony. I'm grateful for my understanding heart, that is full of his love. I love each one of you.

With all my love,
Whit Jean 清货目 磊概

Heavenly Father does love you! He does hear your prayers. 

Here are a few pictures...


1~ Aww, so I was very happy to know that I am loved. Thanks Dal ;)

2~ My Rainy Wonju City!

3~ Temple! I look dashingly lovely, I know. Don't judge.

Haha, it's funny. When people see pictures of me (from before the mission) they are shocked that it's me in the picture. So I always say, Don't judge me, after my mission I'll be pretty! My hair, and my clothes....oh boy! But I am happy :)

    - 3 pictures  - rain - whits face  - whit & comp -

I forgot to tell you a list of things I was going too....oops! 
Here it is:

~HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and Dad on Wednesday! You guys are the best parents a girl could ask for!

~We will have 60 new missionaries coming in the next two transfers!!
....and I'm terrified, I might train soon :/

~Mom, I got your package with the CTR ring, and my recent convert loved it! It was sweet for me to see the smile on her face! Thank you for sending that to me.

~Today is the day- I'm buying CROCS! I never ever thought I'd own a pair for myself...but my feet are killing me, these Steve Maddens I have just aren't doing the trick.

~Also, dad, did you see the pic with my rain boots?! These boots are legit. When I come home, we're going truckin, and I'm gettin in with dem cows, and we're gunna wash out your trailer...ALL BECAUSE I have these mighty boots! Haha every day when I wear them, I feel like I'm going to the barn to milk cows. And it looks like it too! Except for the fact that I'm wearing a dress ;)

K I think that's all...until next time!
I love you all. I'm grateful I have you back home, and across the world praying for me! And remember I am always praying for you!
With all my love,
Whit


Pictures  -   July 21th 2013
First one- Me and Sister Gu sending our love ;)

Second one- ...nuff said?

Thrid one- This is all of us at a Buhhdist Temple! And we are standing
behind one of three of the biggest friendship bracelets in the world.
It's famous! I guess there's this half Korean, half Japense guy who
made these three bracelets. One for Japan, one for N. Korea, and one
for S. Korea. But the relationship between N. and S. Korea is so bad
that S. Korea hasn't had a chance to send them their bracelet...guess
that's why they aren't friends! ;) Haha jk, but not really.

LOVE YOU GUYS!!! XOXO I'm safe and enjoying my life :D



    -------    pictures    ------


Wow, another week has come and gone. This morning I thought, "what am I going to write home about?" and I'm still thinking.

I guess I'll just write about what's on my mind. Remember the investigator (mother and daughter) and their miracle story about coming to church? Well, I'm thinking about them. They said they would come to church yesterday, and they didn't come ;( such a huge heart ache. I hate feeling this way. And not only do I feel the hurt, but I'm upset. All I can think is, "Why do you say that you'll come if you're not going to come?"

I called her at about 20 mins after church started, and she rejected my phone call. About an hour after church started Sister Gu called her, and she finally picked up the phone. She asks her if she is coming to church and she just said no.

I don't want to be mad at her, and I don't want to hurt. I know that I can apply the atonement in my life right now. And I've been thinking about how important it is to KEEP YOUR WORD. If you say you're going to do something, do it. Just do it. Don't make commitments or promises you can't keep. 

In the same breathe that I say this...I know we are all imperfect. And this is why we have the atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ. I know there are A MILLION times, I have FAILED to keep my word. And because I am experiencing this, I hope that I can be better at keeping my promises. I also compared this to my relationship with Heavenly Father. How many times in my mission- in my life even- have I said I was going to do something, and then didn't do it? I literally can't count. And I thought, "I bet Heavenly Father thinks this about me." It is my hope and prayer (and lesson learned) that we may stay true to our word. Stand as a witness, at all times, in all things, and in all places (Mosiah 18)

I sent some pictures of Sister Gu and I, we are doing so well. Earlier this week she said (with an accent), "Do you know endorphin?" It took me a couple times of repeating the word to realize what she was saying. I finally realize what she's saying. I say, "Yeah, I know endorphin. The things that make you happy when you exercise?" And she just looks at me and says (in her accent), "You are my endorphin. :)" I wasn't expecting her to say that. Her and I are becoming more and more like best friends. We are SO DIFFERENT, yet so much alike. I'm grateful for her. She loves me so much. I am actually amazed by how much she loves me. Her and I both know that if our companionship isn't good, nothing is good. We both make sure one another is happy, and okay. If one of us isn't happy, we do all we can to help the other. I'm learning so much from her. We talk about EVERYTHING. She knows all about my family, my best friend in Chicago ;), my fears, my hopes, my dreams...and in turn I know all about hers. I'm grateful for the relationship we share :)

I hope this email finds each of you happy :) and if you aren't happy, then change you mind, and choose to be happy! After-all, it is our choice!

I'm doing just fine here in Wonju! This Saturday we have transfer calls! I'm kind of trippin', everyone tells me they think I'll train! I don't feel ready yet, but it has to happen, either this transfer or next! Soooo keep me in your prayers, I know you always do. Thank you for all you do. Love ya'll so much!
xoxo
Whit Jean 清货目 磊概

July 28th 2013
HI :) I MISS YOU ALL MORE THAN I CAN EXPRESS!!!

This week was fun!

First pic is my little Wonju City, this is what they consider "country
side" here. Haha, not exactly my kind of Country, huh? But,
nonetheless, I still love it! I'm taking this picture from one of my
investigators apartments. She lives on the 19th floor of her
apartment- and I thought the view was absolutely breathtaking! There
are SO MANY mountains out here in the "country" haha, and I love it. I
definitely miss my Utah mountains!

Then there's the picture of the old men playing Chinese checkers on
the sidewalk. You may have to zoom in to see it. It's so funny to me.
I walked past them one day and they just stared as I walked by. Oh and
the guy standing up, smoking...pretend he's waving at you ;)

Then here is me and baby HyeJi...she's a stinker! She is so cute. She
makes one little fuss and she has everyone coming to her rescue! She's
a little momma's girl, and I'm surpised she let me hold her as long as
she did. She's a highlight for me here in Wonju, I love her :)

        -------   pictures   -------

Hope you enjoyed those pics! 

This week has been interesting and exhausting. I think it's valid to say that about every week as a missionary. It's impossible for me to write you everything that I did, and learned. But there is something very special that I learned and I want to share it with ya'll.

This week was full of confusion for me. Every single day this week, we went some where and I felt frustrated, sad, angry, tired, wonder some, weak, and unhappy. The reason? Korean. Yes, this language is still beating me up. I think I just realized this week how much I really don't know this language. And what I do know is pure gospel language. I can't carry on a casual conversation with just anyone that I want. I think that's what hurts most :( 

So with this suffering came questions. And most of the questions began with, "Why." Why this and why that, why, why, why. And I found my answer in Jacob 4:15-17

"...by the stumbling of the Jews (or Sister Hunsaker, or you) they will reject the stone upon which they might build and have safe foundation.
"...this stone shall become the great, and the last, and the only sure foundation, upon which the Jews (or Sister Hunsaker, or you) can build.
"...how is it possible that these (Jews, Sister Hunsaker, or you) after having rejected the sure foundation, can ever build upon it, that it may become the head or their corner?

Don't reject the stone. Don't reject the struggle. Don't avoid the stumble. Whitley, you stumble because God is helping you build your sure foundation. Missionaries, you stumble because God is helping you build your sure foundation. Everyone, you stumble because God is helping you build your sure foundation.

There is more than one reason why we are where we are..both physically and spiritually. I know I won't know all the reasons why I was called to serve in Korea. All of us ask, "Why?" And it is my firm testimony that it is to help us build a sure foundation. 

I love you all, forever.
With all my love,
Whitley Jean 清货目 磊概

Nik Nac Paddy Wack  -  August 4th 2013
#1~ Licking that dog bone... Yes, I ate dog! :0 It really wasn't that
bad. I mean...after I stopped thinking "I'm eating a dog" then it was
fine. It's all about controlling the mind you know. I mean if I eat a
burger I'm not sitting there thinking, "I'm eating a cow" so you know,
it's all good ;) haha
#2~ The dog...and some leafy greens (grass)...and some other stuff. I
don't really ask questions, I just eat.
#3~ This is a dessert that's huge in Korea! They're made mainly with
shaved ice, milk, and red beans...then you put whatever fruit or
toppings you want on it. This one just happened to have tomatoes.
Koreans eat tomatoes like candy...it's weird.

          ------    pictures     -------

So I live in Sokcho now, and I love it!
Let me tell you some shocking news. There are 12 active branch members in Sokcho...and 6 of them are missionaries! The Branch president and his wife are missionaries. Then the elders and us sisters. Guys. What the heck. How is this even possible? 6 members!? Wow!!

Sisters haven't been in Sokcho in over 10 years. So Sister Song and I get to start from scratch! She just got done training so I'm greenie breaking her. I don't know why they call it that (missionary slang) but its whatever. So she is amazing! I love her so much. This is my third area on the mission- with my third korean companion. She knows just about as much english as I know korean, so this is going to be an amazing transfer for both of us!!

When I got the transfer call, everyone said that Sokcho was going to be very challenging for me. Because I am opening this new area with a new missionary (and I'm still a pretty new missionary myself) and she doesn't know much english, and I don't know much korean. And in my heart I thought, "you're wrong".  Although we've only been serving together for 5 days, it's been amazing. We've been working hard with records- copying them, getting our own record book, reading over them, ect. In the 5 days of being here, we have gotten 11 referrals (including one family), and we have another referral who has made an appointment to meet with us this week. The Lord is good to us!

So, where this week was transfers, I've had a lot of different things happen to me. It's been a very busy week! I don't even know how to begin telling you all that I'm experiencing. Just know that I am okay, and more importantly, know that I am happy! I've yet again, realized the importance of being happy. As me and my companion struggle communicating, I could view this as a huge stumbling block, and easily get frustrated/discouraged. Instead, I like to view it as a blessing. We read in the scriptures that if we turn to the Lord, "he will make our weak things become strong". 

Opening another new area with my companion, I desperately need the Lords help. I turned to him and I have seen so many blessings. Others may view our companion communication as weak- but for me, it is our strength. I notice that when she speaks to me, I listen not only with my ears, but also with my heart. I care about what she is saying and I want to communicate with her. In turn, I see that she does the same thing for me. I love her, a lot.

This week I read President Monsons talk from this last conference and he is talking about missionary work. I want all of you to know how grateful I am for your support and constant love that you show me.I know your labors sustain me, your faith encourages me, and your prayers uphold me...because, "a mission is a family affair...though the expanse of continents or oceans may separate, hearts are as one." Thank you for being my rock! I never imagined I'd experience and see all the things I have thus far- and I know that my joy wouldn't be as full if I didn't have all of you to share it with. 감사함니다!! (thank you!!)

Talk to you all next week!!! 
xoxo
whit

1 comment:

  1. Love the update. It is fun to 'see' Whit and to see her smile. Thanks for updating and sharing.

    ReplyDelete