Saturday, November 16, 2013

Back at it again

Hey Everyone!  I hope you have all had a chance to get caught up on the blog!  Whit has had a lot of great things happen for her in the last few weeks and depending on the length of the letters of the rest of September & October I just might be able to fit in the news without overwhelming people. If not, you'll just have to keep pulling up the blog to check things out.   PS - I think I may have figured out the picture thing - CROSS YOUR FINGERS!!!!

09.25.2013
We went to the ocean....and this was the first time in my life that I
seen a real live jelly fish! I thought it was just about the coolest
thing ever. Also~ thanks to Disney movies I know what a lot of things
in the ocean are, however; Disney makes things a LOT more big.

We had to walk on the bridge and then under neath the bridge to get to
this little island to get to the ocean. Hard to explain, and maybe
imagine...but it's real cool. The little island we went to they
apparently have filmed Korean Drama's there and it's a very famous
place here in Sokcho.




This was on Friday...we taught an English class for a Less Active Member, and one of the ladies in the class said, "You have Barbie eyes." Hahaha I died laughing :)


While we were knocking doors I seen this, and I died laughing! Man, I hate it when my baby slips! hahahahha




God Knows Better
I seen SO MANY miracles this week :) I'm so excited to tell you about them!

So you seen the pictures of the jelly fish- I still think that's one of the coolest things I have seen in Korea.

On Tuesday I learned a very powerful lesson. So let me give some back ground info. Last week at district meeting, Elder Hone (Zone Leader) gave us some advice for helping our area here in Sokcho...and because we don't have tons of investigators we are focusing on the less active members. So to sum it up basically Elder Hone said that if people don't want to be visited we have to let them go for a season. And I REALLY didn't like hearing that. Because I don't give up on people. I just keep trying and trying. And that's kind of what I intended to do. So Tuesday we go and knock on 3 less active doors and this is what happened! The first one didn't answer the door- we looked in the window (which was open) and we seen someone laying down on the floor, but we can only see their hand. By the way we are with the Elders doing this. And at first they were trying to be all sneaky about it and so I said, we don't need to be sneaky about it, just talk to them. But they just ignored us! Maybe they were asleep....but I mean my voice is loud and I think they heard us. So that hurt...being ignored like that (but it happens a LOT). So we walk to the next persons house and while we were walking I was thinking to God, and I just thought why aren't you helping us? So the second door. We knock and knock and knock. We forgot our phone at home that day so the Elders called the member and he said in a nut shell, don't come to my house I don't want to meet with you. So again, I think to God, why aren't you helping us? Then we finally go to the third persons house and only her daughter was home, but we got to talk to her for a few minutes. And while we were talking to her I thought, maybe that's why the first two didn't answer the door because God wanted us to talk to her.
*Lesson learned: God knows better. I should never doubt or ask him why he isn't helping us, of course he's helping. He see's things differently than I do. So because I don't receive help the way I want, I assume I'm not being helped. BUT in reality, God knows better.
 On Wednesday, to finish our day we went knocking doors and it was the very first door I knock and I begin speaking in Korean and she stops me in the middle of my sentence and says, "where are you from?" and I was SHOCKED! And replied, "America. Where are you from?" and she says, "china!" OOPS!!!!!!!!!! She's not Korean~ I didn't even know! Immediately she invites us in to her home. THAT NEVER HAPPENS!~ I wrote a few weeks back and told you that happened during exchanges, so this was the first time me and sister song got to experience it. AND I got to teach in English! I began by explaining our purpose of knocking on their door, and they seen the Book of Mormon in my hand and asks what it is. So I testify that it is a true book and that's actually why I'm a missionary. Then they look through it (I had an English copy in my bag...all credit to the Holy Ghost) and they see the picture of Moroni with the plates. Then this woman's husband notices the snow in the picture (who notices the snow in that picture?...no one! or a very observant/intelligent human being. Which he was and I felt a little intimidated to teach him because he is so smart!) And he comments about where Moroni is, he guessed some where in Europe and I tell him it is America. Instantly he is amazed and wants to know how the Book of Mormon came about. So I taught him about Joseph Smith and recited the first vision and testified that he can know if the book it true for himself. And we even got a return appointment and should be meeting with them this week! I am so pumped!!! 
Then Thursday was Mom's Birthday...;) and my half way...what a miracle that is!
Friday~ I am told that I have Barbie eyes...not really much of a miracle, but sure why not.
Saturday~ we met with a less active who is just about the cutest woman I ever met in Korea! And she is practically fluent in English so I got to talk with her a lot! As we are talking she mentions that she goes to another church.....and again my heart breaks. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?! Better question...why? I don't know. But God does. He sees things I can't, and I had to remind myself of that, and that God knows better. Then to end our night we go knock doors and the same thing happened, a sweet 80 year old Korean lady invites us into her apartment and we teach her about the Book of Mormon, and she told us she is gone a lot because her husband is ill so they go to doc. app.s a lot, but she told us to come back this week and meet with her!
Sunday~ This one is my favorite miracle! Okay so we got a referral from one of our investigators (except she's not really an investigator cause we haven't taught her in forever). So they tell us this man was involved in a car crash in America and he needs help reading some documents, and then they want our Family English Program (30 mins teach English, 30 mins teach gospel). So long story, December 30, 2013 this man and his wife were on a Bus in Oregon and it crashed, as a result 9 people were killed (maybe some of you back home remember seeing this on the news?) This man was critically injured and had to be lifeflighted. And sadly, his wife was one of the nine who were killed. So he was in the hospital for 43 days. And now he is back here in Korea and he is getting tons and tons of bills and documents from Oregon and he can't understand them because he doesn't really know English. So that's where my companion and I come in. I read all his documents and then simply tell my companion what it is and then she explains more to him in Korean. Honestly- I didn't feel like much help. But we did all that he asked and answered all his questions. I just wanted to hug this man (but hi I can't cause I'm a missionary). He has such a warm heart and he was so grateful to us, but we didn't really do that much. We are going to their home this week and will start the 30:30 program. I want to teach him about eternal families SO BAD!! I want this man to know that he will see his wife again!

That's what my week was...just full of miracles and tender mercies from the Lord. I reflected on my week and I wondered why I got to experience all the joys and aches that I felt. There isn't really anything in particular that I did. And if I had it my way I would of chosen to feel a lot more joy and a lot less ache...and maybe all of you feel the same way about your lives? I don't know why things happen the way they do. I don't know why whatever we want to have happen, doesn't happen. The only answer I have is, God knows better. 

I love being God's missionary!
With all my love,
Whit 清货目 磊概









Whit has loved each and every one of her companions.  :)  I am so grateful she has been blessed with such great companions that help her each and every day.








Dedicate Your Heart    9.22.2013
This was a very long, and eventful week! I wish it were possible to tell ya'll everything that happened...here's to trying! :)

So I tell my companion I see crazy things all the time in Sokcho, but she always misses it! Let me share with you one event: Monday after emailing we went to the 시내 (downtown) to do some stuff and as we are walking I am talking to Sister Song, about something (I can't remember) and I'm looking across the road and I see this man and a cute little girl (maybe 3 years old). And out of no where a car comes and almost runs over the little girl. But this man saved her life, and he completely protected this baby girl. It was like she was the nut in a shell. He got hit by the car and it launched him forward- and somehow graciously still landed on his feet. Now, you can imagine the anger anyone would have if you were this man. But he was very calm. He set the little girl on the ground and he squatted down in front of her and I'm sure he's checking to see if she's okay and she is entirely oblivious to what just happened~ and she just wraps her little arms around his neck. For real, it was so crazy. 

Anyway more about missionary work eh? :) Actually this week wasn't too full of missionary work. I told you it was the Korean Thanksgiving so we went into Seoul and slept at the Temple again so we could go to our conference. But it wasn't just an ordinary conference. As you can notice, I don't write home a lot about investigators being taught or receiving baptism...because it doesn't really happen a lot here in Korea. My mission President thought something needed to be done- so instead of doing something like rededicating the entire mission- he wanted all of us missionaries to rededicate ourselves to the Lord in our missionary work. So we had a mission wide fast from Wednesday after lunch to Thursday~ and then we broke our fast together at the conference. It was an amazing experience.

We were also given some time for testimonies. Immediately I felt the spirit tapping on my heart, telling me to go up and share mine. But there were SO MANY people that went up so I ignored the tapping. I peacefully listened to the testimonies and found that mine was strengthened. Every few testimonies I thought, "maybe I should go share mine." But there were so many people, so I didn't. Then there was the last missionary who stood (and of course we were already over time, and I could hear stomach's growling) as he was talking my heart just pounded louder and HARDER than I've ever experienced in my life. I finally couldn't take it anymore and I walked up to the stand. As he was finishing up, I felt my hands just sweating and my legs were trembling (I'm usually not that nervous, it was different). My testimony was short, "...I tried to fight the spirit, but I should never do that because I never win...Heavenly Father hears every single one of our prayers, and I can't fathom that...He wanted me to stand today, and testify that I know He lives. I also know his son, Jesus Christ is our Redeemer. I know that the spirit we all feel in our hearts is real. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen." 

I truly feel like I am more dedicated than I ever have been to missionary work. I feel it in my heart. I'm not concerned about the things I used to be concerned about. Or about the things that use to have all my attention. Some of you may wonder what exactly that means. Some of you may wonder how am I just figuring this out after 9 months of being a missionary. And it's not something NEW that I am learning, it's just some of my roots digging DEEPER~ something I've gained a stronger testimony from.

In a missionaries call letter it says, "You have been recommended as one worthy to represent the Lord as a minister of the restored gospel. You will be an official representative of the Church...You will also be expected to devote all your time and attention to serving the Lord, leaving behind all other personal affairs. As you do these things, the Lord will bless you and you will become an effective advocate and messenger of the truth." I feel this promise taking it's place in my heart.

My companion got to skype her family (because of the holiday the Koreans call home different times than us Americans and remember her parents are both deaf) and she told me after that they all said she has changed. And she was kind of looking for some confirmation from me to say, "no you haven't changed." But instead I just nodded. And she looked at me puzzled. And I said, "I hope after 5 months of being on your mission that you've changed." That didn't seem to satisfy her. So I continued telling her my reasons why a missionary should change during their mission.

I remember in the MTC I felt the change taking place. Remember I complained to you guys for writing me like I was Sister Hunsaker and not Whitley? I was trying so hard to hold on to me. Then I noticed when I was writing you, it wasn't Whitley writing you, it was Sister Hunsker. And although I am still Whitley, I've realized the longer I am on my mission, I feel more like Sister Hunsaker.
 
**********Does this make sense?

Anyway, I'm rambling and what I'm trying to say is, yes I have changed. I hope I have changed. I hope all missionaries see a change in themselves. And I hope that change is all of us becoming more like our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ.

I'm creating so many memories with all the missionaries I'm serving with. I am so grateful for them <3. I am so grateful to be the Lords missionary.

Also this coming Saturday is transfer calls, again. This transfer flew by and it was longer than the usual 6 weeks. We have like 10 new Sisters coming. Everyone is telling me I'll be training...so prayers would be good :)

Dad I'm always praying for your safety while you work. I want you to know I am so grateful for you, even though you are so busy, you take time to write me, and it means the world to me! I love you.

Mom, I love hearing about your week :) your emails are good. And you are so strong. I'm glad you had a happy birthday, and I'm proud of you that you are doing service and finding happiness!

Zo&Bj I hope the dogs are feeling better. I got another card from you zo :) I hope you guys are always safe and happy!

Braid&Mark I haven't heard a lot from you. Hope your vegas trip was fun! And I assume you're both just working? Are you starting another semester of school?

Sky---One email a week isn't too much to ask is it? I mean yeah your arm is broken, but come on! Send me an email you punk! I LOVE YOU. 

Grandma and Grandpa! I got your email :) So if you have time you can reply back to this email. I love you two! I'm glad you are both in good health, I hope you enjoy your last few weeks in Utah before heading to Arizona.

There is nothing more important than this gospel. There is nothing more important than God. I know this life is truly our time to prepare to meet Him (Alma 34:32). I know that ALL OF US need to improve in our relationship with God. There is no better way of strengthening your relationship with Him than to dedicate your heart more fully to Him. I challenge all of you to seek God more. Pray stronger. Dig deeper. Serve harder. 

That's about all I have for this week.
Whenever times are hard just remember, Monday will always come! :)
With all my love,
Whit Jean 헌새커 자매


President's Wife, Sister Christensen

So our Zone went on a hike on Saturday. I'll have you know this hike
just about killed me. Today is the worst pain I've felt in my body
(legs) since who knows how long! Wow!!!

We went on a hike on Saturday because this week was Korean
Thanksgiving (Chusok) and missionary work isn't really possible during
that time. This is probably the biggest holiday of the year. So we had
cleaning day on Friday, and then Saturday was our pday.

The Mountain is called Sorak (Solak?) Mountain....look it up on the
internet. It's huge! When we ride the bus to Seoul I always look at
this mountain, and think, "I wonder what it's like to be on top of
that." Well, now I know. And it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I was in awe
as I looked at my view. I think God had a lot of fun creating this
earth for us :)







We had mission conference this week for 추속 (Korean Thanksgiving).

My missionaries! <3 We are getting bigger and bigger... :)
















Never Give Up   9.29.2013
So THANKFULLY, I'm not being transferred :) Sister Song and I get to be here in Sokcho at least one more transfer together. Next transfer we have 17 new Sister Missionaries coming...so maybe we'll both be training then! :0 Yikes!! Also, I just want to let you all know how proud I am of the youth. It's amazing how many missionaries are flooding the earth <3

A lot of you have emailed and asked about how the work is, and how my area is, and how I'm liking my mission. It's kind of hard to answer those questions...but here it goes:
As far as our area goes...it's still pretty hard. We've been here about 10 weeks (and remember we opened the area~ Sister Missionaries haven't been here in over 15 years) and we still don't have any progressing investigators :( It's hard. It really is. I don't know why it is this way. I've thought about how hard we work, and our obedience, and everything that goes in to missionary work. There isn't really a rhyme or reason (that I've found) as to why things are this way. NEVERTHELESS, I do know that God knows our circumstances. I know He is very aware of our potential investigators and all the people here in Sokcho...and all of you around the world.
I really liked what Grandma and Sister Danielle Whitney wrote me this week. Talking about how we need members to help do missionary work. In our white hand book it says to only write positive things home, but I feel like I need to include this. Yes, we have less actives in our area. About 200+. That's real life. We have 6 active members and 6 missionaries (2 elders, 2 sisters, and a senior couple.) We have TRIED so hard to visit less actives. We meet with our Branch President every week (who is the Senior couple, and he goes home in November~ which means Elders here will have to be Branch President) and he tells us which less active families to visit. We try to get our few active members to come visit with us. But they wont. They think that if people fall away they will NEVER come back. But that's not true! But here in Korea, it just seems to be that way? And all the less actives we have visited (except for maybe three) all have another religion. And one of the main reasons they are less active is because they got offended by someone. I remember Sister Eishelle Whitney writing home about his a few months ago, and she said, "It's not worth it...and it's not worth your eternal salvation." I just want to say amen to that! It's ridiculous to me that people choose to be offended. 
So I've been told our area, used to be were all the "bad missionaries" were sent to. The mission president before mine, sent all the lazy missionaries out here. And no sisters existed out here so me and my comp got sent out here to open the area, and we feel like it's a dying area. It's tough. I never thought I'd be facing anything like this...I don't know what more we can do. We've tried just about everything we know. Our Zone Leaders and they always tell us that our Mission President says he doesn't send lazy missionaries out to 강원도 (country side, where we are serving). And the other day I called President regarding other things and before he hung up the phone he asked how Sister Song and I are doing and I said we're good. And he said, "Never give up, okay??"
Every Friday we have our 3 hour weekly planning, and I haven't cried since being here (about 10 weeks) but on Friday after weekly planning, I just broke. I cried to my companion and just expressed to her what I was feeling with the hardships in our area. We are both sort of at a loss of what to do. But we both concluded that we need to rely on the Lord. He knows what is best. He knows what his children need, and I know we just need to live worthy to receive that revelation.
So bottom line, (sorry that I ramble and I'm all over the place) it's really tough out here...but I'm learning and growing every day :) And even though it's hard, I am finding happiness along the way. I am so happy to be a missionary in Korea. I am so happy I get to learn more about our Savior and His teachings, and that I get to grow closer to Him. I love you all, and I am enjoying my mission~ despite all the hardships I've faced, I wouldn't change my mission experience for anything in the world.
And even though I haven't had a baptism in over 4 months, I know that I am still a successful missionary. I know God is proud of the work my companions and I do together. I know that because I feel it. I'm grateful for the ability we have to feel a little piece of Heaven through the Holy Ghost (no wonder the word of wisdom was revealed~how could you feel the holy ghost if you are influenced by alcohol or drugs). ANYWAY :) I am grateful I get to feel everything I am feeling. I know God lives, and I know Jesus Christ lives too. I know they know each and every one of us. They know how to help us, we all must be humble enough to let go of our will, and ask for the help of heaven. No matter what you are facing, I hope all of you can all feel the motivation, love, and sincere comfort that I did from my Mission President's words, and Never Give Up, OKAY?? :)
With all my love,
Whit Jean 헌새커 자매

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” 
― Maya Angelou

We had lunch at a Buffet, called Ashley's. It's super famous here in
Korea. It's supposed to be like American food....but I mean lets be
real, it's not really American at all. Their potatoe wedges are bomb
though. And Ketchup and Mustard and Pepsi tastes exactly like it does
in America, so I'll give them that.

 

This particular Ashley's is inside the Kensington Resort in Sokcho.
It's pretty famous. The Missionary Couple took us there because Elder
Ghergori (right) is being transfered this week. I have a lot of fun
with these Elders. I'll admit SOMETIMES (about 50% of the time) it's
frustrating working with Elders. But it's literally one of those
things like, can't live with 'em, and can't live without 'em.



Well…  since I got the pictures to work I didn't get as far as I wanted to - however - I am hoping to get another update done Monday or Tuesday so stay tuned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment