Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I am slowly but surely getting everyone caught up

Hey Everyone!  
I still CANNOT figure out this picture situation -- and the mismatching font for the dates is DRIVING ME CRAZY   I can't figure that out either, it is all matchy matchy on my end...  just felt I should share that with you -- ANYWAY, so once again all photos will be posted to Facebook and I will make sure the descriptions are uploaded as well.  The only picture that Whit is not in or that doesn't have to do something with Korea is the one what is uploaded so I guess there is one picture to enjoy after the long read.  :)

August 11, 2013

Friends and Family All Over The World :) Hi, I love and miss you so! I hope I got all of your emails correct! There are so many of you!

So this is week 36, I think? August is almost over, where did the time go? I'm sure a lot of you are asking yourselves the same thing! Some of you might be sad because your summer is about up..as for us missionaries, we are happy. Because that means no more sweat dripping down our faces when we talk to people outside!

This humidity here is insane! You can't prevent the sweat. Nothing can help you stay cool. I put like 3 ice cubes in my mouth when we get home because I'm so hot. Sister Christensen (Pres. Wife) told me how to make an ice pack (ones that form to my body and aren't has hard as a rock) and so I can sleep with them at night. We don't have air conditioning, so really I die. We have fans though! 2 of them! I told my companion, " You know how little kids carry their blanket every where with them...the fan is my blanket!" Seriously, whatever room I go in, I take the fan with me and plug it in. Sometimes I don't think it helps, it just feels like a heater is blowing one me. 

Anyway lets talk about more important things! We've been in Sokcho for almost 2 whole weeks now, and we have 0 investigators :( haha, kind of discouraging! But I don't know if I told you this last week or not, but the branch here in Sokcho is super TINY. There are 12 members total, 6 local members and 6 missionaries. The branch president and his wife are missionaries. SO, my companion and I have talked and we both feel like a reason we are here is to strengthen the branch. 

My companion and I are a lot alike. We both know how to love people. My companion's parents are deaf, so she is fluent in Korean Sign Language. I've learned a little bit, it's fun! So because her parents are deaf, she understands the importance of communicating and loving. I'm so grateful I have her. She is only 19 and she already has such a huge understanding and knowledge of what is important in life. 

So this week we worked really hard at getting a map of Sokcho and finding all of the members houses and all the less active members (a ton), so we can go and visit them this week! In Preach My Gospel, in the first few pages, there is a bunch of quotes from the Prophets of the Church. I can't remember which prophet said this, but he says something like, "missionary work is nothing more or less than home teaching", and since I'm a sister missionary, I crossed out home teaching and wrote visiting teaching. I really feel like I am just this intense home teacher who makes a lot of cookies and message cards and tries to get people to come to church!!

We did a lot of knocking doors this week, and it seems like it will be that way for a while. There aren't many people on the streets that we can talk to. But when we do go on the streets it's fun because I stick out and so people are just drawn to us and they wonder what I'm doing in Sokcho!

One very important lesson I learned this week is: It is my blessing to be in Korea. I have to do pass-off, which is passing off teaching all the lessons in korean and knowing a bunch of words. While I was doing pass off with my District Leader, he said things that really touched my heart. He said things I needed to hear. I'm grateful for people like him. He said, "Being here in Korea, and learning Korean is your blessing, Sister Hunsaker". I never thought of it that way. I always viewed Korean as something holding me back, something that was in my way...and although that may be true, it is still my blessing.

Haha, I think my blessings are things that are most challenging for me. Because~ that's when I need God the most. What greater blessing can I receive than learning to trust more in my Creator? I don't think there is anything better. It is my blessing to be here in Korea. It is my hope and prayer that all of us, in the middle of our busy hectic lives, just stop for one second, and count our blessings.

With all my love,
Whit Jean 清货目 磊 概


August 18, 2013 - Surely you will find it
I really can't remember who else I'm supposed to send my emails to- I have to manually type them in and I can't remember everyone...oops! I still love you if I forgot you!

This week was soooo good! We had a Sisters Conference in Seoul (I sent the picture of the City, I love that City). We got to go in one night early because we live so far away! We got to sleep at President and Sister Christensen's house! We helped her get a few things ready for the next day and then we ate ice cream with them before bed (seriously, I was in heaven. You know how much I love ice cream- and to be at President's house...ugh it was a dream!)  Before bed Sister Christensen asked for someone to share a scripture and have a prayer before bed. She asked, did you read anything in the scriptures from personal study, if you can remember that far back! Which by the way is so true! Our days are SO LONG, it was hard for me to remember what I had read about that day. 

I kind of felt a little embarrassed because I couldn't remember what I had read. Surely I studied something! But I didn't know what I read. I had a desire to share, but I had nothing! This was a very humbling experience for me. There is a purpose in our early morning studies, and I think God intends for us to remember what we study throughout our day. Lesson #1 learned~ study, apply, and remember.

My companion shared a scripture with us and she said her thought in Korean and then afterwards President translated for Sister Christensen. And honestly I didn't listen to either of them because I was so wrapped up in my thought (the paragraph above) of not remembering my scripture. So I was humbled and I felt the spirit testify that I need to remember what I study. Then President looks and me, and again I feel the spirit prompt me right before he says, "Sister Hunsaker, will you offer a prayer?" I humbly nodded and knelt to pray.

Always, always, always, in my moments of prayer I am overwhelmed by the spirit. I love praying. I love being asked to give a prayer. I love any opportunity I have to pray to my Loving Heavenly Father. I don't remember what I said in my prayer...but I remember the way I felt. Lesson #2 learned~ the words aren't something we always remember, it's the feelings. As I struggle trying to speak Korean. I get nervous when I'm called on to answer a question in Korean, or to teach my investigator in Korean. But from this experience, I am again humbly reminded that surely it isn't the words that matter, but the feeling that enters your heart.

At the Sisters Conference, they gave us an opportunity to share our testimonies. My girl, Sister Taylor was the first one who popped up out of her seat. And I followed after her. I was so grateful for the chance to share my testimony with the Sisters in my mission. I hadn't really bore my testimony full out for a long time (since leaving the MTC). Of course I share bits and pieces of my testimony every single day- and sometimes in Korean. But to be able to share more, and in my own tongue, what an amazing feeling. I was again, struck by the spirit as I bore truth of the gospel, God, and Jesus Christ. 

My favorite part about being a missionary is being able to always feel God's love. I know Heavenly Father lives. And I know His Son, Our Savior, Jesus Christ lives. I don't know they live because I've seen them like Joseph Smith did. I haven't seen them in this life. I know they live because I can feel them in my heart.

I hope we can all find time to seek the gift we all received when we were baptized, the Holy Ghost. Seek God's love, surely you will find it.
With all my love,
Whit Jean 清货目 磊概


August 25, 2013  -  Where Ever Your Head Is
Hi everybody :)
I didn't even realize it was fair week. Mom, I love all the pictures you sent of everybody. I told mom I didn't realize this past week was fair week. I was thinking it was this week, so now I'm grateful I didn't know because now I don't have to miss it :) Everyone looks so good, and happy!

This week was a little cooler than the last several. AND WE GOT AN AIR CONDITIONER!!! :) Guys, I can't tell you how happy I am. I feel so spoiled. Not everyone gets an air conditioner. But President and Sister Christensen came to Sokcho a few weeks ago and they came to look at our house, and where we just opened the area they asked if we needed anything else. And so I said, "Yeah, an air conditioner :) :) :)" BIG FAT SMILEY FACE!!! And then, ta-da! Sisters are favored, and I absolutely love it!

So because it's been SO HOT, I've had a hard time focusing on my missionary work. I just find myself thinking, "Holy moly, I'm gunna die" or "it's so hot!" "Is this real life? I'm gunna die" Haha seriously. I lost count how many times I found myself thinking this or actually saying it out loud. I even learned how to say some of these phrases in Korean ;) haha. It was a challenge for me to focus on my work, and I hated that. Instead of learning how to say a sentence better in lessons to investigators, I was learning less important sentences. I realized I need to train myself.

So I try to think about my investigators. Think of how I can help Sokcho, how can I be a better missionary, a better person, a better companion, ect. I know where ever your head it, that's where your heart will be. It applies to everything in life. I know that if my thoughts are focused on other things, my heart goes there too. When I first came to Korea, times were ROUGH!! I always thought of home, and I just couldn't focus on the work- because I thought of home, that's where my heart was. I am able to look back over my previous transfers and see where my thoughts and heart was. And because of those experiences, I can see now where my heart is. My thoughts and my heart is here in Korea.

I know it's hard to stay focused the moment sometimes, especially if the moment is full of struggles. BUT, I know that if we just enjoy/endure all will be well. And we'll appreciate the hard times. We learn in the scripture that there must be opposition in all things right? I'm grateful for hot days, I'm grateful for hard times, I'm grateful to be on the opposite side of the world from all of you....because, I am more able to recognize the blessings.

Okay, enough weather talk. WE HAVE AN INVESTIGATOR!!! :) Finally, after 5 weeks, we have an investigator. Her American name is Jessy. She's just about the sweetest thing. Her boyfriend is actually a member, and he is so fly at English. He wants us to teach her, so I guess she was kind of a referral. We were supposed to meet with her when we first got here, but because it was SO HOT, she didn't want to meet.

We met with her on Friday and then after we had just planned to eat dinner and knock on doors for the rest of the night. But then she said she wanted to take us to dinner, and a concert. My first thought was, "Yay!" But then I remembered I'm a missionary, and I probably couldn't go. So we told her we weren't sure if we could go to the concert, but we would find out. So she let me choose what we were eating: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pizza, ect. So I said, "Japanese!" We had THEE BEST SUSHI ever! Mmm. So one the way there I called President and asked if we could go to the concert. He said, "What do you think?" ~ I wasn't really expecting that answer...so there was a long pause. I thought, "What do I think? I don't know? Just tell me yes or no!" So I said, "I think it's okay, it's a piano and cello concert." And he said, "I think it's fine if you go. But if you get there and you feel uncomfortable, leave." To make a long story short, we went and it was fun. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. When I get home, I don't plan on attending many more of these types of concerts, but it was a great experience.

So we built our relationship with our investigator and I'm excited to start teaching her. She knows a little bit of English and we will teach her 30 mins English and 30 mins gospel. She tries really hard to speak to me and I'm grateful for the chance we have to teach her the gospel. She belongs to another church, so that might be hard, but I know if we invite the spirit~ she will feel the message is true, and she'll be converted.

This week I'm going to try and focus my thoughts more on my missionary work. I'm so grateful for all your prayers in my behalf. I feel the strength from your prayers. Thank you for loving me. Where ever our thoughts are, I hope its worth having our hearts there.

With all my love,
Whit Jean 清货目 磊概


September 1, 2013 - Miracles still exist
This week was very memorable, to say the least!

So we had Temple Day on Tuesday, so Monday night we took a bus into Seoul and slept over at the Temple. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Temple. Missionaries who can't go to the Temple regularly--I don't know how they survive. I always feel at home when I go to the Temple. After the session, I'm more grateful for my life--just everything about my life: people, experiences, love, laughter, growing pains, locations, ect.

Then the next few days weird things happened, but lets just get to the best day: SATURDAY!

So Saturdays we teach free English at our Church. We teach one hour of English and then share a message about our gospel for 30 minutes. So we were at the church a little early for MCM and to set up for English. Sister Song and I were in the Primary room and suddenly Elder Black comes in and asks Sister Song to help him as he hands her his phone. She speaks in Korean and I seen the expression on her face change dramatically. She hangs up the phone and says we need to go. She looks at me with worried eyes and I'm just about to die with the anticipation...so this is what happened:
 The Elders never lock the door to their apartment (they say nothing is worth stealing. As he said that his companion butts in and says, "I do Elder Black! I have a lot of cash!" then Elder Black shrugs and says, "Well I have nothing there worth stealing." haha--oh the simple minds of men). Anyway as they were leaving their house to meet us at church there was an old woman sitting one the stairs of their apartment. She spoke a little with them and they left, not thinking twice about locking their door.
 This cute old woman they were talking to apparently has dementia. So she went in their house after they left and the police told us she just made a mess in there. I think the Elders neighbors called the police and then the police called us and talked to Sister Song. The Cop said she didn't steal anything. So we get to the house (we had to go with them) and this sweet old woman is just sitting in the middle of their living room where the elders sleep. She had folded up their bed and blankets. She has this pile of stuff sitting in front of her (of which she was going to take home: a huge box of Korean Book of Mormon, a blender, and a pan). This old lady told the Police she is looking for a new apartment to buy~ and she was just gathering what she needed I guess! Haha~~ this may not seem funny to all of you, but let me just tell you it was probably the funniest thing that I ever witnessed here in Sokcho!

Now, I have a miracle to tell you about. Because of the phone call from the police we needed to leave the church and walk to the Elders house with them. We're all just walking and talking together and Sister Song puts her arm around me and as she is about to tell me something she suddenly stops talking! I turn to look over at her as she gasps and she starts walking towards this man. Then she starts hugging this man...At this moment all I think is, "She's a missionary. Missionaries aren't supposed to touch, let along hug someone of the opposite sex. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!" I look at Elders and they frantically look back at me. Then I look back at my companion and the man she's hugging, and I recognize him....IT WAS HER DAD!!!
Sister Song's parents have friends (who are deaf) that live here in Sokcho. It's like her mom's very best friend! (we ran into her on the pday we went to the beach, did I tell you that?) Anyway they came to visit their friends, but they had packages (full of food) they wanted to leave for Sister Song. They know the rule, they know they can't see her. So they called the AP's and got the Elders phone number~ he was going to call them and meet with them to give them the packages. BUT--her dad saw us walking to church (so they ducked down in their car so we wouldn't see them, and we didn't) and then shortly after he seen the Elders pass by. Because he's deaf, his voice is quite, but he can still talk. But they just walked by too quickly for him to call after them to get their attention. So he dad knew that we all were at the church. So he was thinking about what to do. He didn't want to call Elders when we were with them, so he was just waiting.
He got out of his car shortly after Elders passed by, to stretch his legs. And that just happened to be the EXACT moment that we were walking to the Elders house! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that God made that happen. If we were even one minute early or late~ she wouldn't have seen her dad standing outside of his car. I can't say all that happened by chance. There was definitely God's hand in that.
We got permission from our Mission President for all 4 of us missionaries to go to dinner with her parents. It was so amazing for me to see Sister Song talk with her parents in sign language! I never thought I'd be able to meet any of my companions parents~ the thought never crossed my mind. Because I love my companion SO MUCH, meeting her parents just filled my heart with an even greater, deeper love. They seemed familiar to me. They are Korean, and deaf. I'm an American who speaks English and struggles so hard to even attempt Korean...but I was still able to communicate. The communication wasn't a full conversation that I'd like to have~ but it was enough. Enough for me to feel their love for me and for them to feel mine in return. Her parents love me so much, they even bought me a new pair of shoes (her dad wanted me and her to have matching shoes, haha).

One more miracle I seen was Sunday night while we were knocking doors. We were just doing our regular routine of knocking~ nothing special. We knock on this one door and there's a microphone to talk into and they asked who we were. We say that we are missionaries. And then they hung up their phone (that's how they hear us). So we look at each other, kind of shocked and disappointed (even though that happens all the time). Then, suddenly this woman flings open her door and asks want we want. So in this moment I think my heart stopped for a split second, because I was so scared. This woman is wearing a dentist mask and her eyes are just bigger than ever and they're just staring at me! So we begin to gibe her our little message of the reason we are at her door. And she doesn't seem to understand. So my companion asks her if she speaks Korean, she says no. She asks if she is Korean, she replies no. She says she is Japanese (could of fooled me, just sayin). So my companion asks if she speaks English and she says yes. So they both look at me, and my heart just MELTED! I WAS SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY! FINALLY! I CAN SHARE MY MESSAGE IN ENLISH!!! :):):) I explain that we are missionaries. I am from America, and my companion is from Busan here in Korea. I tell her that the reason we are here in Sokcho, and at her door, is because we know our message can bless lives and we want to share why we are so happy! It was amazing :)

I want you all to know that miracles still exist. We can see Gods hand every single day in our lives, if we just take the time to look for it. I know God and Jesus Christ live. I know God wants his children to be happy, that is why he created a plan. I live and follow this plan, and it was brought me the most pure joy that anything could. I know if we follow Jesus Christ, Him whose God's plan is centered on, we will be blessed forever and ever.

I love you all, thank you for supporting me in all the ways that you do. Your love for me doesn't go unnoticed. Xoxoxoxo
With all my love,
Whit Jean 清货目 磊概


September 8, 2013 - This is Gods work
This week was LONG, so much happened! 

On Wednesday we had Zone Meeting and after that I got to go on exchanges with one of the Sister training leaders in my Zone. She came back to Sokcho with me and my companion went with her comp in their area. I was kind of nervous to have her come to my area because I'm still pretty new as a missionary (but since our mission split, I'm kind of considered the older group). We seen SO MANY MIRACLES! I don't know why, but it seems miracles always happen when missionaries have exchanges!
First miracle: We are on the bus going back to my area it's about an hour bus ride. We've been on the bus for about 45 minutes just talking about mission stuff and work that we're going to do, ect. This woman in front of me turns around and says, "Where are you from?!" I tell her we are both from America and then we have this long conversation about her and her life. Her husband drinks and she hates it. She teaches school in another town, so we lives in Sokcho with her husband on weekends (which she doesn't like cause he drinks, A LOT.) and during the week she lives with her daughter in the other town. We talk for about 15 mins and we get off at a different stop with her and continue talking and trying to share our message. We give her our card and an English Flyer, and we got her phone number so hopefully we can meet with her this coming week! :)
Second miracle: After dinner we just went to knock on doors for the rest of the night. And I like knocking doors cause I get to practice speaking Korean~ wither they want to listen or not, I just testify and share our message. This one door, it's the very last door in the building that we knock on and she invites us in!!!! THAT NEVER HAPPENS! I was SHOCKED! :) So I'm not really prepared to teach anything, and thankfully my temporary comp (even though she's American) knows a good amount of Korean. I shared my knowledge and testimony about eternal families. I cried as I told her that through our message she can have make her family an eternal family. It was just simply amazing to me.
Then the next day I had planned to meet with 5 people....and not a one of them pulled through! Crazy weird things happened and it was probably one of the strangest days on the mission. Sometimes~ it's hard to know what to do as a missionary. It was frustrating for me. But I learned something from it: This is God's work. I can't do it without Him. This particular day I wasn't trying to do anything without him, but because I become frustrated I let my guard down. Satan came in and doubts just started flying. I didn't want to get discouraged so I had to remind myself that this is God's work. He will provide a way (1 Nephi 3:7). 

I am learning new things and being reminded of things already learned every single day. I am so grateful to be God's missionary. I'm so grateful for this unique opportunity to be here in Korea. I want to live in God's Kingdom, so I must endure (D&C 78:7). We all must endure.

I love you all so much!
Whit 清货目 磊概

For my loved ones around the world :)




I am that horse. I think missionary work wears on you mentally. If you think you can't do something, then you're right! You  can't! We all know the saying, "Don't know until you try" I feel like that's my motto as a missionary. God called us to serve where are for his specific purposes. Don't be like me and this horse. Believe in God. Know that he can help us where ever we are in life!

Me and God love  you!
~Whit 清货目 磊概


Please try to send Whitley a card/letter to remind her how proud we all are of her, I know she would love to hear from each and every one of you!  She is one of my bestest friends, she is a peace marker, she is a great example to all of us, and one of the most selfless people I know.  She truly truly cares about all the Koreans she has the opportunity to serve.  She is learning, day in and day out, what it takes to be a missionary for our Heavenly Father and I couldn't be more proud of her!    I LOVE MY SISTER!!!

Sister Whitley Hunsaker
Korean Seoul Mission
Gwanghwamun P.O. Box 210
Jongno - Gu
Seoul - Si
Seoul - Teukbyeolsi 110-602

Until next time….   :)  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. I enjoy reading her thoughts and about her mission.

    ReplyDelete