Friday, March 22, 2013

Whoa, week 3 in country

I am slowly getting the hang of the blog updates... kinda.  I hope to be able to get the letter before the pictures this go round.

Ah, dearly beloved :) we gather here today to read about this past week in Korea (me ramble for who knows how long!)
First, I LOVE YOU.
Second, when I call home..in 9 weeks :D eek!! Um, I only get to talk for 30-40 minutes...thats all the information I have about that, so lets keep that in mind and I will update you when I know more.
Third, Uh ..... This part of the email had to be deleted per Whit's request.  She let me know in a previous email that I cannot share her personal experiences thru the email but we are welcome to tell them to people personally.  I have left a little bit of the email attached just ..... they said yes! :) That makes me happy.
Forth, read the talk by Jeffery R Holland entitled Feed My Sheep. Rocked my world. Elder Holland is incredibly bold and I love it, I wish I could be like him! He said a few things in that talk that brought me a lot of comfort. I'm not suggesting ya'll to look at it, actually read it. Please. It will help you understand where I'm coming from. And it will spiritually uplift you. In the talk he talks about after Christ died and the apostles didn't know what to do, so they go fishing. Jesus appears unto them and elder holland kind of quotes what Jesus would have said. He said, "When I asked you to follow me, it was forever!...When I asked you to serve a mission, it was forever!"
Listen, I know I have said this to ya'll before, but I'm going to say this again. I'm in this forever. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love the happiness it brings. I love the comfort it brings. I am half way around the world from all of you...through the power of God. God comforts me. Jesus Christ comforts me. And why do they comfort me? Because they want me to follow them forever. They want ME to find His sheep! I know I keep saying this too, and I'll keep saying it too, missionary work is hard. So HARD. There are days I just really can't see how I can do it another day, and through the grace and mercy of God, I am saved. He carries me just one more day. So! As a missionary, my challenge, or commitment if you will, is to let God carry you. DON'T GIVE UP ON THE HARD DAYS. If I can live half way around the world, and still feel God's love, you better believe you can feel his love and comfort where ever you are. Continue seeking Him.
Fifth, Read Alma 26. Along with Elder Hollands talk, this is the best way I could describe how I am feeling. Especially vs 22-37. The anti-nephi-lehites & lamanites are converted and bury their weapons of war. They would "suffer even unto death rather than commit sin" (24:19). Being in Korea I feel like vs. 12,16,22,27,36&37 explains & sums it all up. Here I go again: Missionary work is extremely difficult. Ever single time I'm on my knees pleading for help because I want to give up, or like vs. 27 says, "turn back", the Lord comforts me. He is telling me to be patient in my afflictions. Be patient in learning korean whitley. Be patient in suffering whitley. Be patient in missing loved ones whitley. Be patient when you can't understand anything going on around you because, "I will give unto you success" (vs.27). Blessed be the name of my God, forever! :)
Sixth, something I learned. Take note: Praying wont change the will of God. BUT RATHER changes the will of my heart.
Seventh, remember how I love you all so much?
Eighth, that's all.
Ninth, I don't think dear elders work here, so if you have tried to send me some..I haven't gotten any.
Tenth, sounds like a good number to end with.

Me & God love you! Stay strong and stay safe!
With all my love,
whitley jean xo

um an adventure....the other day i was on the subway and i was reading some korean notes or something i can't remember and this person stands in front of me, which is normal cause it's super crowded in there and this guy like bends over so i am looking at him instead of whatever i'm reading and it's his old korean guy. and i kind of smile cause he's a cute old man but i'm also startled and dont know what to say cause i don't know korean and he says are you american?! and i said yes! and he said are you christian?! and i smile all big and say yes! are you?! and he says here read this! and hands me this tiny bible book that has pictures and is all in korean and then i tried to offer him the book of mormon but he wouldn't take it. anyway that was cool and weird haha.


 I'm not sure what happened when I got this email but my emotions fell apart!  On Sunday nights I get a little crazy checking my email, I guess you could say I am a bit obsessed, when I see she emails I quickly email her back so I can chat with her for a minute. I don't think we exchanged more than two emails and I was crying like a little school girl - I MISS(ED) her SO much!!  I guess I just needed my sister, my friend on Sunday.  Whit is always full of information and full of inspiration - I am TRULY grateful she gets to teach us thru her experiences.  







  


Okay this is the coolest thing ever. The kings palace! Right in the middle of the city of Seoul. Also, it's HUGE!! I didn't even realize how big it was. We walked around for like 2 hours and it's the most open space I've seen since being here.




That statue is the guy who invented the korean alphabet. and behind it you can see the palace.
This is the biggest shrimp I've even seen/eaten in my life. Whoa. This week I also ate pig guts. It was interesting. Haha. For the most part I'm doing great with the food. It's not even a worry or concern for me. I've always been able to eat just about anything, so that's a huge blessing.
I love and miss you!

1 comment:

  1. It is great to read about what is going on with Sister Whitley on her mission. Nice update to the blog.

    ReplyDelete