Saturday, February 9, 2013

 Week 8 !!!

Have we really only made it thru week 8 and on to week 9?  Does anyone else feel like we should be on week 38 and on to week 39 or is it just me?  If you break it down in days it seems like it has been much longer than 8 weeks - 56 is a much bigger number than 8.  :)    

You know when you have a funny/embarrassing/"I gotta tell someone" moment and want to share it with someone so you can both get a kick out of your news?  Whit was my go to for that and guess who no longer has a cellular device... yep you guessed it - HER! Whit! My only sister! My parents youngest daughter! My brothers little sister!  W - H - I - T - L - E - Y!!  I say this because last weeks letter was a little rough to read for some of us...  no one ever wants to hear that their loved one is struggling.  You feel even more helpless when you cant pick up the phone to call or get in your car and drive over to offer comforting words.  My mom called last week crying - she just wanted to call Whitely and let her know she is proud of her and try to comfort her, listen to vent her struggles and to remind her how much she is loved and supported.  I agreed with every emotion my mom was going thru and has went thru several time a day I'm sure.  I let my mom know I knew how she was feeling and what I had to do from time to time when I had those moments.  EX:  Remember the picture of Whitley with the fireball in her mouth from a post or 2 ago?  I have been wanting a fireball ever since I saw that dang picture but those are not something I remember to put on my grocery list. I sent the following email to Whit while having one of my cravings that could not be satisfied:  
Whit - I am at work and don't have a lot of time but I wanted to call you on the phone (or text you) to let you know I am CRAVING ME SOME FIREBALLS!!!!  Ever since I saw the picture with you eating a fireball I have been craving some and I forget all about that craving when I am at the store! UGH!!!  
OK - now I gotta get back to work - I often times have random thoughts I want to share with you so this time I did.  :)  
Love you sister!  
Please don't get me wrong - our family supports Whitley (and each other) 110% regardless of what is going on, I just don't think any of us were prepared for this emotion roller coaster.  When Brady left on his mission there were a lot of tear shed but I don't remember any of us being this emotional.  (sorry Braid's - I just don't remember)  Throughout our lives do we subconsciously prepare ourselves for our brother(s)/son(s) to leave for 2 years if that is the what they decide to do?  From my observation it seems as though the parents of young men serving missions hold it together much better than we have?  Do they mask it better?  Is it harder cause she's our sister/daughter and we didn't prepare ourselves for her to serve a mission?  Are we greedy and selfish?  We are VERY grateful for the emails and letters we get from her.  We can all see the change her mission has had on her and it is wonderful to see her growing.  All we can do it take it a day at a time and grow with her.  She has had to lean on our Heavenly Father several times to get her through this and she encourages all of us to do the same.  I am one that tries to look for a bright side in all our challenges - I am truly grateful for Whitley's letters.  She is teaching me new ways to study the scriptures (I've never been good at - or a fan of reading the scriptures, I won't lie) and I swear each scripture I have looked up as of late has had to do with Faith - obviously these are scriptures I have needed to read and something I need to be stronger in or reminded of.  Thank you Whit for teaching us something new each time you write!  We will all continue to be strong and support Whit 110% - I guess we just weren't prepared... 

Below is Whitley's letter from Tuesday along with her pictures.

Family,
So I'm approaching the end of week 8. Holy moly. Is this real life? I mean I feel like I've been here FOREVER, and the same time it feels like yesterday. Know what I mean? Course I'm missing all of you like crazy. But the Lord is sooo good to me. I couldn't do this without him. This week I have been constantly reminded of how much I need him. How real he is. How amazing this work is. How blessed I am to have all that I do. I feel like I have been slightly self centered and I haven't thought about how all of you feel. All of us are in each others lives for a reason. God knew I would serve a mission, and he knew I would need an amazing family and friends to support me. THANK YOU FOR BEING SO AMAZING. I know that I can lean on you and turn to all of you for anything. But you need to know that I am leaning on the Lord to help me get to Korea. Yes, I am a baby bit scared to go, but I am very confident that the Lord will hold my hand every step of the way. I hope all of you are aware that he is taking care of me and watching over me, so don't worry (if that's possible).
--- Highlight of my week- Uh I saw Elder Cook, walked right past me, looked me in the eye and said, "Hello (with a HUGE smile on his face!)" and I smiled and said, "Hi!" So nbd. But kind of. Haha no for real though it was cool, and really neat to see him. He looks exactly like the pictures we see of him. Exactly how you would imagine him.
 ---Yesterday in class I felt the spirit overcome me. I share this with you because in my morning prayers I asked to feel the spirit, (cause I was on a spiritual high from fast sunday, which was amazing) and I know that if you pray for the spirit to be with you, to comfort you or prompt you, the Lord will grant it unto you, as long as you are worthy to have the spirit (obviously).
 ---On sunday I bore my testimony, and a few people thanked me afterwards which was kind of them. I was the first one to bear my testimony, its been a long time that i felt the spirit that strong. But guys, it was AMAZING. Bearing testimony is so powerful. Fast and Testimony meetings are my fav. for sure.
 ---The gospel is everything. It's not what you do, it's who you are.
 ---God has a plan for everyone. A specific plan. Just for you.
 ---I will keep in my heart His son's name, forever.
 
Okay so 8 weeks in and this is what I've realized about Whitley Jean:
 
I'm realizing how much I....love:
Fire balls
ironing
raw spinach
yellow peppers
temple attendance
the gym
being a woman
 
I'm realizing how much I....hate:
Cooked spinach
Hair balls (like literally a ball of hair. i GAG. it is the grossest thing in the ENTIRE WORLD.)
For service this week we cleaned showers and can I just tell you how sick that was? And how grateful I am for you know, cleanliness. Oober goober gross.
 
Okay my 30 minutes is up. Thank you for writing me letters like I am still Whitley Jean.
I'll send pictures around 6pm tonight.
 
Dad, Mom, Zo, Bj, Braid, Mark, Sky, Josh, Tam, and Eishelle I LOVE YOU!
Thank you for being part of my life.
Xo
Whit

Whit just loves this girl...  I guess she has
sent letters to my mom along with Whit's
letters.  I'm glad to see that she has found
some friends she can relate to.

This is Whit's desk.  We have done whatever we could to help make her feel at home while she is away on her mission and from the looks of this desk I'm going to say we have don't a pretty good job!  :)  I love to see all of her pictures on her wall, the pens & paper sent, the manicure set, etc.  This puts a big smile on my face.
She ABSOLUTELY LOVES temple day!

1 comment:

  1. Families of Elder missionaries do not hold it together any better. Outsiders don't see it. Your family is LivInG this, and when others are going through this same thing, the outside world just does not see in, it may be masked.
    Thanks for the post. I sent Whit a letter 2 weeks ago and have not had a response. I do know she is busy. So it was nice to get an update here.

    ReplyDelete