Monday, February 17, 2014

Updates for the rest of December


December 15, 2013

Time For Remembering 
Christmas is a time for remembering the Son of God and renewing our determination to take upon us His name. It is a time to reassess our lives and examine our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Let this be a time of remembrance, of gratitude, and a time of forgiveness. Let it be a time to ponder the Atonement of Jesus Christ and its meaning for each of us personally. Let it especially be a time of renewal and re-commitment to live by the word of God and to obey His commandments. By doing this, we honor Him far more than we ever could with lights, gifts, or parties.
 
I wanted to open by sharing this because I think it's so easy to get caught into the shopping crowds buying gifts, stringing the lights, and preparing for the parties. Course all those things are fun, and they add the icing to the cake. But the real meaning isn't about the lights, gifts or parties, it is about remembering our Savior. Without him, there would be no reason for this season. I know (hope) each of you can catch a glimpse of what I'm trying to say. If we all look inside our hearts, we can feel there is this deeper meaning around this time of year. This is when we count our blessings. We are surrounded by our loved ones. And when we look around, who is it that surrounds us? Family. Well, hopefully, it's family. Why? Because family is the most important. God gave us our families, and we are all part of His Family. Being a missionary the past year, I've truly been able to feel the meaning to the words, "He is our Eternal Father." Literally we are his children. And Christ is our brother. How blessed are we? It's my hope and prayer that we spend more time with loved ones, spend more time counting our blessings, and spend more time thinking about Christ. For He truly is the reason for the season.
 
I know there isn't anything else I'd rather be doing this time of year than serving as a full time missionary for Him. This past transfer, I've really learned what it means to lose yourself in the service of others. And I'll just tell you that it's so true, that when we serve others we truly are serving Him. As I've been able to serve him, I forget about me. All of my doubts/insecurities/worries flee, and I'm completely wrapped up in the love of God. I can't express my gratitude in words, but I am forever grateful to be His missionary.
 
My friend in the hospital is improving! When I did exchanges this week we were able to go and visit him. It was another bitter sweet moment. He was able to sit up a little better and he could move is left arm around. He was quicker at recognizing things. He spoke more clearly, but he's not quite speaking in full sentences. But his "okay" responses are pretty solid. Sister Ellis and I were able to meet up with Sister Song and her companion. It's been awfully cold here (but I hear UT is a LOT colder than here), so when I walked in and held his hand, Brother S. was able to warm my hands very quickly. I think he was grateful to see us. But I could sense some sorrow and emptiness and wonder in his eyes. Like last time, I tried to stay positive for him. There were a few moments that touched my heart, but I only have time to share one:      -     Whit went on to explain o a very touching experience she had with her dear friend.  I have removed this information upon request from Whit and for the privacy of her friend.    -      More happened but I don't have time to share. He is progressing though! I am amazed by how well he is doing. Thank you for all the prayers in his behalf. Even though I've never asked for them, you all have been so gracious and have replied to me that you are praying, so thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!
 
I love Koreans, and I couldn't ask for a better people to be serving. Just like Brother S, I hope you all remember that God loves you. HE NEVER EVER LEAVES US. I don't know the meaning of all things (or all hard times/trials) but I do believe and trust that God has his divine purposes in all of our lives. And we will all be a lot better off, if we could just learn to trust Him. I know when we cry or when we are having a hard time, God aches in the same why we do, like I did when Bro. S in his midst of despair cried out for help. Turn to God. Cry to Him. He will hear your cry, and he will send something or someone to comfort you. I beg you all, just trust him more fully.
 
Stay safe and bundled :)
xxo
Whit Hunsaker Jamae    


If only missionaries could have pets! :)






Guess Santa does exist ;)   
Thanks for ALL the gifts mom! And for sending one to my companion, you have a heart of GOLD
!

 













There's a ford truck in Korea.....................I was speachless!
 
Sister Harper and I on exchanges. Mom, I wrote you a letter about her a while ago, but let me just remind you that this girl is amazing. I love her, so much! I know I throw the love word around a lot, but seriously, this girl is epic. I love her! Somehow I'm going to convince my president to let us serve together after I'm done training Sis Ellis!
 
And this little town is called DouGeay (spelling? it's hard to spell korean words in english) but this town is in my area. We had to take a bus or train about 20 minutes to get here. And there is like no one there. This is how I thought Korea would be. And I'm grateful it is a lot more developed than this. but this town was sweet! We got 4 contacts in the 3 hours we were there! :)








some old random pics i thought you'd like to see!
the first one i'm eating my favorite soup! 
second and third was our hike to the top of a mountain in sokcho, 
remember i wrote home about that. anyway, here they are. 





December 22, 2013
Merry Christmas

"Our faith must not be difficult to detect."
-President Reuben J. Clark

What is faith? Is it different than wishing? Yes. Of course it is. Faith is believing in something that you can't see. When we have faith, there is hope. Hope is something that could happen, wishing is something that most likely NEVER will happen. When we hope, we become more Christ-like, for hope is one of his attributes. Sometimes we lose hope, I've been there a time or two myself. Christmas time seems like the hopeful time of year, at least for me. And I know our hope can turn into faith, if we just believe.

This week, yet again, I got to visit my friend (Bro. S) in the hospital. He is still improving, and it makes my heart just leap for joy! Sister Harper and I got to do exchanges, so we met up in her area, and before we left to go back to my area, we went to the hospital. I'm so grateful for all the chances I've gotten to go and see Brother S. As we were visiting with him, he started crying, again. He turned his head away from me and just began to weep. I leaned over his bed and whipped his tears and asked him why he was crying, he replied, "I don't know". I told him, "It's okay to cry. Sometimes we just need to. Mom says it's good for the soul (even though you prob don't say that mema)." And then he chuckled a little.         -     Whit went on to explain o a very touching experience she had with her dear friend.  I have removed this information upon request from Whit and for the privacy of her friend.       -     Whit went on to explain to tell of us some information she learned about her dear friend experience.  I have removed this information upon request from Whit and for the privacy of her friend.    -      

So my spiritual thought, if you will, is: be hopeful, and realistic. We all hope for things. Right now my hopes as a missionary is that people will receive the word of God. I hope that people will soften their hearts. I hope that people will pray to the God that gave them life. I hope that we can all live in peace and love one another. I hope that I don't freeze to death as I walk the streets of Taebaek. I hope that I will live with my family forever. I hope you all have a very Merry Chirstmas......oh and I wish I marry Zac Effron :)

Being a missionary is great.
I'll be missing all of you~ but there is no where else I'd rather be than here in Korea during Christmas.
Stay safe, stay bundled, and stay hopeful!
Whit Hunsaker Jaemae

December 29, 2013
Happy New Year!

Koreans don't celebrate Christmas much, or the New Year. They go off the Chinese calendar, so we'll be celebrating the New Year at the end of January. But hey to all ya'll in non-Chinese calendar based countries, Happy New Year!
 
So calling home was just about the best gift, eh? I'm so grateful I got to talk with all of you, especially because Brady and Mark weren't in Vegas with ya'll. Zo sent pics and everything just looks the same. Ya'll sound the same and just everything! I told Dad that I'm looking forward to that familiarity when I get back in about 5 months. HOLY COW, 5 MONTHS! Whaaaaaaaaat.
 
Since I already told you about my Christmas on the phone I don't really have much to say. But yesterday was a fun day. We spent a lot of time knocking doors. It's always fun doing that, you get some funny responses. I wish I could have a camera with me when I'm doing it, it could make some pretty hilarious "America's Funniest Home Videos", but maybe we'd have to change the name for obvious reasons. Anyway we gave out a lot of Books of Mormon. And I took the idea Hermana Whitney was doing with her district, in tying the red ribbon around it.

-- -- Whit shared experiences with teaching the gospel to some people she met.  
She has asked that I not share the personal experiences on her blog for the privacy 
of the investigators.   -- -- 

The longer I'm here on a mission, the better I am.
I've loved this journey of learning Korean, although it's my weakness, I know God can strenghten me if I will just turn to him.
 
I love you all!!!
xxo
Whit Hunsaker Jamae


Pictures~
Me and President's wife
Christmas Eve~ sleep over in the Temple in my Christmas pjs :) and these are a few sisters in my zone, Sister Song, Sister Dorman, Sister Evans, and Sister Harper.
Doing a selfy with Elder Kafausi ;)








So there's a little park here in Taebaek, and it's all lit up. There's a bunch of random things, like unicorns, and starts and hearts and angel wings. Mom, you know I think of you every time I pass by those flamingos! Haha, so happy new year from Taebaek!








1 comment: