Friday, October 19, 2012

Make Your Days Count


All my life I have tried to grow up so fast, and now that I’m starting to finally feel grown up, I want the time to slow down.  In conference President Uchtdorf told a story about him and his wife riding bikes, and how he wants to ride faster like it were a race. He quoted her and she said,
“Dieter, it’s not a race; it’s a journey. Enjoy the moment.”
I love the journey of my life, and I hope to enjoy the journey instead of getting caught up in the race of life. Looking for the finish line, you’ll miss all the important details. He goes on to say, “Doesn't it seem foolish to spoil sweet and joyful experiences because we are constantly anticipating the moment when they will end?”


Don’t count your days, make your days count.

I've been thinking about this quote a whole bunch lately. Since I received my mission call I have been counting down the days until I leave, and now that I have a shorter time left here opposed to waiting, I am realizing I need to make my days count. I've met a lot of wonderful people here at BYUI, and I’m grateful for every single person who has played a role in my life.  Time is drawing near, and before I know it I’ll be in the MTC. It’s scary how fast the days go by! I find myself literally wishing I had some sort of emergency brake I can pull. One of my favorite quotes is by the one and only John Wayne, and he says,
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.”
Leaving my family and friends for 18 months slightly scares me, but I am saddling up anyway because I have wanted this for too long to walk away from it all. I’m not that scared to leave my family because I know that I will see them again, and I have a testimony of eternal families. I do know that some of my friends won’t be around when I get home, and that’s okay because the important ones will still be there.


When I arrive in the MTC I hope to have my perspective changed to letting my days count instead of counting down the days to leave the MTC. And I’m sure when I reach my half way mark, I know I’ll want to slow down the time.  So where ever you are in life, stop wishing for it to go by faster. Instead, embrace whatever you are faced with. Whether it be happiness, change, or a challenge enjoy the ride! My hope and prayer are the same concluding words of President Uchtdorf’s talk,
“I pray that we will not wait until we are ready to die before we truly learn to live.”

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring Whit, :) thanks for writing this one I think I need to work on that perspective too!

    ReplyDelete